Business network security is integral to enterprises of all types and sizes. Every business is susceptible to security breaches of many kinds; right from mild ones to more dangerous kinds. So why network security? No one can presume that a company will at some point be attacked by hackers or scammers. But network security recommendations when put in place will secure your company against unauthorized access. Small business network security solutions are also fast becoming a prerequisite before any SMEs can secure funding from global corporate bodies.
The stature of a company is gauged by the business network security put in place. A professional network security assessment should be carried out periodically to ensure that the enterprise is up to date with regards to emerging trends in the cyber world. Chief Executives can improve network security through company-wide ICT policies and usage regulations.
1. For small business network security, the first network security measure should be the design and installation of a firewall. Network security recommendations dictate that the first vulnerability attackers go for is the open ports into a small business network design. The ports are the mechanism through which the company connects to the wider world. An open port is the easiest way through which potential attackers can exploit a network’s vulnerability. Having a firewall as a network security mechanism closes all ports that do not need to be open at any given time. A firewall is the first line of defense and this greatly improves network security. Only the ports that have active assignments remain open while the firewall closes all the inactive ones.
2. Protecting your firewall with robust passwords is one of the vital network security recommendations. Just having a firewall is not sufficient. Network administrators should change default firewall passwords in their network security assessment. If an attacker zeroes in on the brand and model of the firewall, it is very easy to hack into the system using the default password. Furthermore, user manuals for specific firewalls can be found all over the internet.
3. Also, improve the network security by updating the company’s router firmware. When routers and firewalls are bought, a bit of time usually passes; sometimes even more than a year. During this time of course the software becomes outdated and that in itself is a security concern. Updating the firmware will fix bugs in the equipment and as well appraise their security features.
4. A small business network design does not have intricate security amenities but all the same some fundamental measures have to be considered. A good way to improve network security is by blocking pings. You can monitor your router/firewall’s visibility to the outside world. Ping requests show the availability of a router and that is why network security is taken very seriously. Even the best network security systems can be accessed if the pings are not restricted. Reach ability of the private network is pivotal to small business network design. Disabling pings ensures that attackers have a hard time reaching your network router firewall.
- See Also: How to Encrypt Files on Windows 10 using Encrypting File System (EFS)
- See Also: How to encrypt email in outlook 2016 to send encrypted email
The phrase best network security is relative; your network is only as safe as it was during the previous latest threat. Every new day poses new risks and you have to be up to the task.